Thursday, April 2, 2009

An Inquisition

From watching my way through Stargate SG1 Season 1 and 2 I have noticed a strange trend that happens to appear in multiple episodes. This is the trend of negating a direct response to stimulus. It was the episode "Prisoner" in Season 2 that got me thinking of this.

In this episode the team go to a prison planet, presumably created thousands of years ago. One character makes a reference to Australia, how it was originally a prison colony. It got me thinking - why exactly is Australia not a "wretched hive of scum and villainy"? Aside from a few occasional incidents the population here are not planning their eventual revenge on England - we got over it.

That got me thinking furthermore - Why does it seem like most societies that are visited in things like Star Trek and Stargate simply adjust to their environment rather than respond to it. I'm thinking something along the lines of a desert planet where they spend 90% of their days in either air conditioning or in pools? To an ice planet where the explorers are met with the full force of a heating system designed by people who have had thousands of years not-wanting-to-be-cold-anymore.

Unfortunately this brings me to the sad realisation of the failure of things like Stargate and Star Trek - it is revealed in a very simple thought experiment. Imagine a superior alien race lands at stone hedge and decides not to search more than 2 km around the site. Our entire planet would be summed up as "the England planet". If I find a solution to this, I believe it will no doubt be a much more interesting post.

No comments:

Post a Comment